Immigration Insights: Family Visas - Who Can Apply?

The family visa, also known as the form I-130 visa, is a deeply misunderstood form of legal immigration. Often derogatorily referred to as “chain migration,” the true method of application and immigration through this method is far more complex. 

The first misconception that often comes with the discussion of a family visa is who the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is willing to acknowledge as “family.” Under USCIS regulations, family visas can only be granted to either the spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen. A permanent resident may petition for a spouse or unmarried child. 

For people petitioning for family visas, preference is given to certain groups of family members applying. The USCIS has split the family preferences into four categories:

  • First preference: unmarried children 21 or older of U.S. citizens
  • Second preference: spouses and children under 21 of permanent residents
  • Third preference: married children of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth preference: Siblings of U.S. citizens

There is also a subsection of second preference that covers children of permanent residents over 21. Additionally, the fiance of a U.S. citizen can also apply for a special fiance visa that exists separately from normal family visas. It should also be noted that as of July 1, 2013, same-sex spouses do qualify for the family visa process.

Even if the U.S. citizen or permanent resident has a family member who fulfills the criteria laid out by the USCIS, their troubles may not be over. Complications arising during the filing process or rejections by the USCIS can delay the arrival of a family member indefinitely. For this reason, it is important to have an authority on immigration law, such as an immigration attorney, review the application or consult on the process in order to flag any issues before they are presented to an official reviewer. 

If you or a loved one are struggling with the immigration process, contact an immigration attorney to help clarify the process and ensure the best possible outcome for your spouse, child, or sibling. 

Ask a Lawyer

Ask your own question and get advice from expert attorneys
Ask Question

Featured Immigration Law Lawyers

Crumbley-Blackwell-Price Attorneys

25 years in practice
Adoption, Auto Accidents, Bankruptcy, Child Custody, Child Support
View Profile

Mario Eric Moss LLM

17 years in practice
Immigration Law
View Profile


33 years in practice
Employment Law, Immigration Law, Intellectual Property
View Profile

Richardson Law Firm P.C.

12 years in practice
Hair Relaxers Lawsuit, Mass Tort, Personal Injury, Rideshare Lawsuits, Tepezza Lawsuit
View Profile

Adam Rieth - Injury Attorney

10 years in practice
Auto Accidents, Brain Injury, Motorcycle Accidents, Personal Injury, Truck Accidents
View Profile

Vanguard Attorneys

12 years in practice
Auto Accidents, Motorcycle Accidents, Personal Injury, Truck Accidents, Wrongful Death
View Profile


Are you looking for an attorney? Do you have questions about a legal case you are facing? Contact us now and we will put you in touch with a lawyer for free.
Attorney At Law is changing how clients connect with lawyers. By providing an innovative platform to lawyers who want to expand their practice’s reach, AAL is bringing law practices into the future.
6142 Innovation Way
Carlsbad, California 92009
Some of the content of this website may be considered attorney advertising under the rules of certain jurisdictions. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.
crossmenuchevron-upchevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram